Protected species licences: references for applications19/11/2019
Published 6 October 2014
Last updated 19 November 2019 + show all updates
- 19 November 2019 Section 2 updated. You can submit a course certificate instead of one reference for survey licence applications. Note the restrictions on upgrading a bat survey class licence.
- 4 February 2019 In section 1.2 Eligible evidence of your skills and experience, clarified you can provide a completion certificate for a relevant course taken in last 3 years from other species- or taxon-specific organisations than those listed.
- 29 October 2018 Referees for a protected species licence can include approved volunteer trainers of volunteer bat roost visitors, where appropriate.
- 1 October 2018 Clarification on guidance to upgrade a survey class licence.
- 4 September 2018 Update to the ‘References and experience needed to support your protected species application or registration’ page. Survey class licences are now included in the list of licences you need references for. Notes added that you cannot ask a trainer of a course you need a reference from to be your referee. Referees now required to include method experience in references.
- 18 May 2018 Added reference requirements for class survey and research licence upgrades.
- 9 May 2018 Corrections to the discretion and exceptions that may apply to this guidance.
- 8 January 2018 Removed the requirement to ‘hold a certificate of training that covers the activity you have applied for’ from the guidance page.
- 6 October 2014 First published.